Tuesday 10 January 2012

Equal?

Somewhere right now there is a small child running through a field to find his basket full of fruits and/or vegetables. He wears torn clothing on his back and no shoes upon his feet. Yet his smile is big when he finally finds his basket. He is happy. That is the point isn’t it? It isn’t that this young boy is poor or that he works in a field. It is that he is happy. Here I am in my warm school, typing on an expensive computer, wearing nice clothes. Yet I would tell you I am no more important in this world then that little boy.

Inequality has been a problem in our world since the very beginning of time. There is not a time period that slaves, servants, ect. have not existed on our planet. Egyptians had slaves who built the more then extraordinary pyramids. The faro's power over his people was extraordinary. European customs made it so servants (the lower class) lived with the upper class but worked for them as maids, gardeners, nannys, handy men, and many more jobs. These people did things that no one would really want to do so they would have other people do it for them. It shows how selfish the human race is.

Today many things are different. My home is Lehi, Utah. An easy going suburb where everyone has enough money to live in descent housing. There are no slaves; no one is less then anyone else. As a US citizen I have the same rights as everyone else in my country. My freedom means everything to me. My favorite holiday happens to be the fourth of July. This holiday demonstrates our proud heritage along with our hope for the future. Every fourth of July I go to a carnival. I have done this since I was very little. This carnival is in Riverton. That was my home before I moved to Lehi about a year ago. The loud noises and laughter is a nostalgic sound that makes me want to close my eyes and go back in time. To the different rides, the most amazing lemonade. I can almost taste it. The thing that stands out the most to me though is, the whole commuity comes together that night to watch fire works go off in one of the baseball fields. The unity within everyone that attends shows the is proud of our freedom. Shows that each and everyone of us has our family's near by. That is very important. To feel loved, to feel safe, to feel unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment